Saturday, September 13, 2008

Cape Cod

Cape Cod! It feels like a year ago that we were there but it has really only been 3 weeks. I miss it already.

So, we rented a studio condo that was tiny, tiny tiny. So tiny we had to unpack our suitcases and then put them back in the trunk of the car because there was no place to store them. But, the best part was that it was 200 yards from the beach. Can't beat that!

So every morning, after breakfast (aka sending A to Dunkin Donuts for coffee & bagels) we got our chairs and umbrella and walked the two minutes down the road and plopped ourselves down on the sand. This was our beach...

It was perfect.

One afternoon, we decided to rent a kayak for a couple hours. Here is the only picture we took.


Yes, that is the back of my head... and my dirty hair. I know your life is now more complete for seeing it. Your welcome. We lasted about 45 minutes in that tandem kayak until a HUGE thunderstorm blew in and I freaked out. Reminder: boat + me = panic attack so therefore thunder + lightening + me in a boat on the water = major freak out. That's just how I roll.

So, needless to say, we hauled ass back to where we started and got to the car just as it was starting to downpour. I have to give myself some credit though. Until I saw the lightening I was doing really well! After I saw the lightening, not so much.

On my birthday, we decided to take a drive out to Provincetown. In all the times that we've been to the Cape, we've never been all the way out to Provincetown so we decided to go check it out. The drive out there was just beautiful. We were staying in Dennisport, so it took about an hour to get there with the traffic. But it was totally worth it. There is a really hilarious downtown that looks like a typical, quaint New England fishing village, but is actually lined with little shops, restaurants, bars and drag clubs. Here are some of the locals, the pink "ladies" rounding up people for their show that night...



We did visit the famous Lobster Pot for some clam chowder. Wow, is it good. If you ever make it there, don't miss it. You can get it to go right inside the restaurant and eat it outside, which is what we did.


After kicking around the downtown area for a while, we headed out to the sand dunes. It was just gorgeous out there and biked on some trails for a while...


A's sister Jaime and her 4 kids came to visit us for an afternoon at the beach one day. They took time out of packing for their move to Cincinnati to come see us. (They have since moved and are happily settled in their new city and their new house!) We had so much fun playing in the sand with them...






Overall, it was a great week. Lots of great memories. Now... on to RI!

2 comments:

RG said...

I wanna see R. I. !!!

Ann (bunnygirl) said...

Looks like a fun time. Dan and I did Lobster Pot on a cold gray day after an afternoon of Whale Watching. Their lobster bisque is amazing.

If you stay on the Mid-Cape again, though, forget Dunkin Donuts. Go to Grumpy's on 6A in "regular" Dennis.

Which beach were you at, btw, and do you particularly recommend it? Dan is partial to Corporation but I'm just sort of "meh" on it. I love the dunes at Chapin but the green-headed flies can be awful. East Bay View was my childhood favorite, but it's private now and Dan's a scaredy-cat who obeys No Trespassing signs. So that just leaves the Brewster Flats for me and I'd love to have a new beach to try out if I get up that way again. :-)